Erlang is a programming language used to build massively scalable soft real-time systems with requirements on high availability.
WhatsApp Messenger is a freeware, cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP service owned by Facebook, Inc. It allows users to send text messages and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share images, documents, user locations, and other media.
Have you every noticed how light weight WhatsApp Messenger is ?
Its all because of Erlang. Erlang is a general-purpose, concurrent, functional programming language, and a garbage-collected runtime system.
- Stable release: 22.2.4 / 27 January 2020;
- Developer: Ericsson
- Designed by: Joe Armstrong
- Filename extensions: erl,.hrl
- Typing discipline: Dynamic, strong
Some of its uses are in telecoms, banking, e-commerce, computer telephony and instant messaging. Erlang’s runtime system has built-in support for concurrency, distribution and fault tolerance.
Have you ever noticed WhatsApp can send messages even when the internet speed is low ?
WhatsApp uses Erlang to run messaging servers, achieving up to 2 million connected users per server. It communicates through the nodes and uses lesser bandwidth than any other algorithm. The communication between two users is connected with several nodes. Hence, the communication is faster.
Many companies are using Erlang in their production systems:
• Amazon uses Erlang to implement SimpleDB, providing database services as a part of the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
• Yahoo! uses it in its social bookmarking service, Delicious, which has more than 5 million users and 150 million bookmarked URLs.
• Facebook uses Erlang to power the backend of its chat service, handling more than 100 million active users.
• WhatsApp uses Erlang to run messaging servers, achieving up to 2 million connected users per server.
• T-Mobile uses in its SMS and authentication systems.
• Motorola is using in call processing products in the public-safety industry.
• Ericsson uses in its support nodes, used in GPRS and 3G mobile networks worldwide.