PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development. It was originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994;
- Stable release: 7.4.3 / February 20, 2020;
- Implementation language: C (primarily; some components C++)
- Developer: The Development Team, Zend Technologies
- Typing discipline: Dynamic, weak since version 7.0: Gradual
- Designed by: Rasmus Lerdorf
- OS: Unix-like, Windows
The question is “Is PHP dying”? just because of the hype of the new technologies. There are various big companies using this language. Facebook, Wikipedia, WordPress, Pinterest etc. are using PHP. Since, the language has many on its applications covering around 80% of the market. Also, continuously upgrading itself (released latest version 3 days ago). So, its impossible to remove PHP from the market as it can drop 80% of the market.
What are the biggest benefits of PHP ?
One of the biggest benefits is that it is readily available almost everywhere. If you are working on a small project using some hosting or a server and you say you need a language, PHP is always an option. Integrate it with a web browser and you can just start.
- It is Open Source. Open Source means you never need to rely on the manufacturer to release the next version if something doesn’t work or pay for expensive upgrades.
- It is extendible.
- Large amount of databases are supported.
- PHP is platform independent. It will run on most of the platforms.
- Compatible with servers like IIS and APACHE.
- Low development and maintenance cost with very high performance and reliability.
Trending PHP Frameworks
- Zend Framework
- Fat Free